Below is my tweet along for Compostmodern09, which took place on Sat. Feb 21st 09. This event was greatly inspiring, and I will be writing a post soon on the over all themes of the conference and where the convergence into sustainable fashion design comes into play. Stay tuned for that post (and some images as well).
· excited to be at #cm09
· #cm09 only 5000 days left. take it as fact.
· #cm09 Allan Chochinov ten rules applicable to fashion design.
· Michel Gelobler: design through the lens of soul and policy coming up, #cm09
· wonderment being made plain/plain being made wonderment cm#09
· Michel Gelobler certainty/worry/sorrow/hope #cm09
· need to bend the Al Gore curve #cm09
· Michel Gelobter: what we have, what we are using, need to establish equilibrium looking to connect product to solution. #cm09
· #cm09 we own the solution not the problem, Michel Gelobter
· Michel Gelobter #cm09 further mention of the design acccord http://tinyurl.com/b5yzl4
· Saul Griffith howtoons http://www.howtoons.com/ #cm09
· Saul Griffith: 2008, the year of ‘peak waste’ #cm09
Saul Griffith: need to re-design everything. make it small, fish shaped,slow. need a new soundtrack, font, aesthetic. need a bob dylan.#cm09
· Saul Griffith: we need an heirloom culture #cm09
· Saul Griffith: I’m an earth fucker and so are you, #cm09
· Saul Griffith: http://www.wattzon.com/ #cm09
· Saul Griffith: soon to be born child going to kick ninja ass #cm09
· Saul Griffith: the planet is the new design client. #cm09
· HR + PR does not equal CSR
· Emily Pilloton #cm09 1. what>how (sustainability=human+environment)
· Emily Pilloton #cm09 2. the other 90% is next door (local+global)
· Emily Pilloton #cm09 3. always bring pom-poms (and a picket signs)
· Emily Pilloton #cm09 4. scalable systems, not stuff (take the product out of product design)
· Emily Pilloton #cm09 5. 2 (thousand) heads are better than one (the more the merrier)
· Emily Pilloton #cm09 6. more cattle, less hat (stop talking and just do it)
· whats the opportunity for graphic design, asks Makower..needs to play a bigger role.
· Emily Pilloton #cm09 started project H with 400$ in her bank
· take the poll http://tinyurl.com/coebq5
· Watching Pam Dorr short film “Housing Hope”
· John Bielenberg and Pam Dorr #cm09 spoke on Project M, and some amazing housing projects.
· John Bielenberg wants you to think “wrong” so you can find solutions. Inspired by Sambo rural studios and a beautiful mind.
· John Bielenberg #cm09, breakthroughs happen in your late 20’s-he is inspired by grad/students.
· #cm09 project M: think wrong http://www.projectmlab.com/
· #cm09 project H http://www.projecthdesign.com/
· all speakers at #cm09 stress the importance of serendipity in the process
· Dawn Danby #cm09 takes an interdisciplinary perspective on responsible design
· Dawn Danby #cm09 concerned with the small size of sustainable design social network
· Dawn Danby #cm09 asks “are we not educating our designers correctly?” this is my research question (fashion designers)
· Dawn Danby #cm09 “1. be cool w/ paradox 2. learn the local language 3. reconsider work worth doing 4. YOUR CLIENT IS THE PLANET”
· Dawn Danby #cm09 talking: sustainability is not a communist plot…semantics are crucial here. **YES!**
· Dawn Danby #cm09 designers are looking for direction-but they still need to understand the numbers in product lifecycle analysis
· Dawn Danby-if your client is the planet…then it’s on you to figure out how to solve the problems that weve got and how to pay for it
· Dawn Danby #cm09 “we need to get rid of our specialness” and open it up to others, interdisciplinary partnerships
· Nathan Shedroff #cm09 is about to tell us what we can do Monday morning, when we wake up at work with all of this.
· Nathan Shedroff #cm09 conservative = conservation start the ‘conservative’ movement with the actual definition
· Nathan Shedroff #cm09 don’t use green… use blue… it comes off more effective in business (without being too ‘environmental’)
· Nathan Shedroff #cm09 OH… and use the work capital *this business advice is awesome*
· Nathan Shedroff #cm09 use some sustainable frameworks: 1. lifecycle analysis
· 2. natural capitalism (eco- efficiency)..
· 3. cradle to cradle
· 4. “natural step” (trademarked)
· 5. biomimicry
· (the point here is that these frameworks are all incomplete…they do not cover social, financial and environmental)
· 6. Datschefski’s “Total Beauty”
· 7. social return on investment (SROI)*very difficult to quantify*
· 8. (last one) sustainability helix
· Nathan Shedroff #cm09 wants you to bring the frameworks together for a good place to start..overlap them to cover all ground
· Nathan Shedroff #cm09 wants you to design for use be the ‘apple’ and lead the way the challenge is on your compeditor will do it if you dont
Nathan Shedroff #cm09 wants you to design for dematerialization (all the way back) the whole lifecycle
· Nathan Shedroff #cm09 wants you to think about material substitution. **in the context of fibre (textiles) diversify and substitute**
· Nathan Shedroff #cm09 wants you to think local, to decrease transport. not always a good idea though.
· transmaterialization, Nathan Shedroff #cm09, and informationalization, are more sustainable (still have impact)
· Nathan Shedroff #cm09: next, design for durability (did i miss one? oops)
· design with multifuction in mind, design for reuse: Nathan Shedroff #cm09
· design for disassembly (Rickshaw zero bag example) http://www.rickshawbags.com/#
· Nathan Shedroff #cm09: redesign the system (Curitiba, Brazil, example)
· Nathan Shedroff #cm09 wants us to find new models, economic models suck (ex. GDP and GPI measurements)
· Nathan Shedroff #cm09 said DONT USE PVC!!!!!! YES!!!! http://tinyurl.com/bftk4d *thank you!!*
· How is this a debate, again? why are these shoes being sold as “sustainable” http://tinyurl.com/b4tnaf I wish i new more about PVC
· Joel Makower asks about green marketing #cm09
· #cm09 Joel Makower wants gree to equal better. work around the dogma. remember the business case, here.
· #cm09 question asked “the planet is your client” is an internal conversation? Ans. sometimes. sometimes we have to talk around the subject.
· Joel Makower #cm09 stories through design can/should/will integrate head and heart in the discussion
· AIGA #cm09 http://sustainability.aiga….